Sermon Study - John 1:9-13 (Advent Week 3)
“Becoming Children of God” from John 1:9-13. You can listen to the sermon here.
In our passage this morning, the apostle John returns to the theme of Jesus Christ as the true Light that has come into the world. As the true Light, Christ reveals the truth about humanity, even if that truth is difficult for us to hear at times. But as the true Light, Christ also reveals the truth about God – who he is, and what he has accomplished in Christ.
For Further Study
In 1:9-13, John anticipates Jesus’ conversation with Nicodemus from John 3. Read John 3:1-21 and answer the following questions:
- How does the new birth reveal God’s grace?
- Why is the new birth the only possible solution to humanity’s sin problem (see 3:18-21 specifically)?
In 2 Corinthians 4:4-6, Paul talks about the themes of darkness and light, just as John did in 1:9-13. Read Paul’s passage in 2 Corinthians 4:4-6 and answer the following questions:
- What is the problem with humanity, according to Paul?
- How does God solve the problem of humanity’s darkness/blindness?
For Personal Reflection
Take some time this week to reflect on God’s grace in your life over this last year.
- What are some specific ways that God has been gracious to you?
- Share some of these evidences of God’s grace with someone else in your life, as a way of praising God for his grace.