Sermon Study - 1 Peter 3:1-7
“The Gospel Witness of Holy Homes” from 1 Peter 3:1-7. You can listen to the sermon here.
Peter is in the midst of discussing what difference the gospel makes in society, and he now addresses the home. In verses1-6, Peter’s teaching centers on a wife’s calling to submit to her own husband. As we study these verses, we see the power, the beauty, and strength of a wife’s submission to her husband. Then, in verse 7, Peter’s teaching centers on a husband’s weighty calling to honor his wife, because she is an heir of the grace of life along with him. When husbands and wives faithfully live out their God-given roles, homes become powerfully witnesses to the gospel.
For Further Study
In Ephesians 5:22-33, the apostle Paul also gives instructions to husbands and wives. Read that passage and answer the following questions:
- What is Paul’s command to wives in Ephesians 5:22-24? How does that compare with Peter’s command in 1 Peter 3:1?
- What is Paul’s command to husbands in Ephesians 5:25-33? What are some of the main differences between Paul’s instructions and Peter’s words in 1 Peter 3:7?
- What is the purpose of marriage, according to Paul in Ephesians 5? How does that change your perception of your own marriage?
- Based on Ephesians 5 and 1 Peter 3, how would you summarize a wife’s responsibility to her husband? A husband’s responsibility to his wife?
For Personal Reflection
In the sermon, we discussed starting a conversation with our spouse in order to better apply Peter’s teaching in 1 Peter 3:1-7. Here are some of the questions we were encouraged to consider.
Husbands, ask your wives:
- Do I honor you as my wife?
- Do I lead you with understanding?
Wives, ask your husbands:
- Do I affirm and support your leadership in our home?
- Do I work with you or against you as you lead our family?
- How can I better support and submit to your leadership?